Pasta Alla Norma
A delicious Sicilian pasta dish, with Aubergines in a tomato sauce topped with fresh basil.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 15 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 40 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 4
- 3 aubergines (900g)
- 300g spaghetti
- 100ml olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chilli (or 1 tsp of dried chilli flakes)
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 220c (fan), or gas mark 7.
- Use a peeler to shave off alternating strips on your aubergines, so they looked striped, like zebras.
- Then cut the aubergine widthways into 1cm thick slices. Place into a bowl with 75ml of olive oil, a good pinch of salt and black pepper. Coat the aubergines, then spread them onto two or three baking paper-lined trays. Roast for 30-35 minutes until dark brown.
- Whilst the aubergines are cooking, put two tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan or pot on a medium-high heat. Add garlic and chilies and fry for 1 minute (don’t burn them!). Add tinned tomatoes, oregano, sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pot. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions, once al dente, drain and retain some of the pasta water.
- Once cooked, add the aubergine to the pasta sauce and mix well. Then add the spaghetti to the aubergine and sauce mixture, making sure everything is evenly coated. Add some of the pasta water if required to loosen the sauce, then top with fresh basil.
- Check for seasoning, then serve immediately.
- James - website
Recipe tags: italian pasta fasting