- 2 ½ quart (15 to 17 medium-sized) sliced tomatoes
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 - inch piece stick cinnamon
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- a dash cayenne pepper
- Simmer together tomatoes and onion for 20 to 30 minutes; press through a sieve.
- Put the cinnamon, cloves, and garlic loosely in a clean, thin, white cloth; tie top tightly; add to vinegar and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove spice bag.
- Boil tomato mixture rapidly until you have but one-half the original amount.
- Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add spiced vinegar, sugar, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper to tomato mixture.
- Boil rapidly, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour into hot, sterile jars, fill jars to top, and seal.
Recipe tags: basic sauce fasting